Monday, October 1, 2012

The One and Only Ivan


Hello, especially to my 6th grade parents. We're trying something new in my 6Y and 6Z classes for the month of October. I tell them they're my guinea pigs, but they say they would prefer to be called hamsters!

There is a program called Global Read Aloud, which a teacher started in 2010. If you're interested in its origin, watch this video. The program started with 60 classrooms, and now in its 3rd year of existence it has about 26,000 students!

I showed the students this map today of classrooms reading the same book, The One and Only Ivan. The commercial for the book is above. You can find us in Shawnee, KS, as number 226 out of almost 250 classes! I will be reading the book aloud to them in class at the same pace as other teachers across the nation. We hope to interact using our blogs and Skype.

The students are not required to purchase the book, but if you would like to, you can follow along at home. I have found that this is a book with meaning that transcends age.

The kids seem pretty excited to start and so am I!

I'll leave you with the quote that starts the book: "It's never too late to be what you might have been." -- George Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment